Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Carnival of Personal Finance #111

Plonkee of Plonkee Money fame is hosting this week's Carnival of Personal Finance. My own post about How to Improve Your Company's 401K is included in the Carnival and the following posts caught my eye:

Bripblap wrote a post saying that automatic / opt-out 401K enrollment is not a good idea. I vigorously disagree, but the article is very well written. My company recently adopted automatic enrollment. Many people that do not enroll in their company's plan, simply neglect to do so out of laziness or lack of understanding. For those, destitution in their old age is too big of a punishment for those "crimes".

Brian, over at Financial Dominance, has a post about ROI criteria in selecting an MBA program. Spoken like a true MBA. Personally, I got my MBA from a top rated University of California school, and I have nothing but good things to say about the program. While part-time MBA programs may show a better ROI, as the article claims, students are missing out on several important aspects of the program, including the unique full time MBA experience, and some recruitment options. If you are going to get an MBA, I certainly recommend the full time program.

John at Queer Cents asks whether you would disrupt your life to take care of your elderly parents. My response to that question is: "HELL, YES!" Are you kidding me? These are the people that gave me life and disrupted their own life to raise me. What kind of person would I be if I let them down in their hour of need? I truly hope that I raise my kids well enough that they will one day decide to take care of me and my wife if, god forbid, we need their assistance.

Finally, Amy at Saving Advice says that lifestyle inflation can creep up on you. Well, some types of lifestyle inflation are negative, however, I have recently written a post about why lifestyle inflation is a good thing. May your lifestyle forever inflate, in a sustainable fashion...

Another carnival I am participating in this week is the Carnival of Money Stories over at The Dough Roller. Check it out. The format is a little clunky, but the content is good.

The new Festival of Frugality is up at Frugal Babe. Frugal Babe sends good wishes and health to our Kitty. Finally, the Carnival of Wealth Building Ideas is up at Business Management Life, with my article titled Stock Market Summer Sale. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning my MBA post. There are certainly other criteria to take into consideration when selecting an MBA program, but I found the ROI statistics to be compelling. I think the fact that I went through an expensive undergraduate education and didn't see many benefits makes me cringe at the thought of paying that much for graduate education.

High Interest Savings Account said...

Before taking the final decision, it is important that you contact the company and discuss the various aspects of the policy with their consultant