Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not All Money is the Same

If you have been following me on Twitter you’d know that I attended a Cold Play concert earlier this week – Monday night to be exact. There’s something really cool about going out on a weekday, especially because I had to take-off from work much earlier than I would normally have left and we had the in-laws baby sit the kids for us. However the topic of this post is not the fun that my wife and I had – although the show was a blast – the topic of this post is the fact that the value of money changes with context.

You know for a fact that everything you can buy at a concert is going to be overpriced to a ridiculous degree, however I did not bat an eye when I paid $13 for a diet coke and some garlic fries. A glass of beer? $9. Really, really crappy pizza? $8 please. No problem at all sir, here’s the cash. However, I sometimes take minutes to figure out whether I should spend 99 cents on a cool iPhone application or to buy a new song. Why is that? It’s all about the context in which I am asked to spend the money. This is not a rational thing, after all, money is money regardless of how you spend it. What changes is my mindset. When I go out, or go on vacation my mission is to have a good time – I come prepared to spend the money. I throw frugality to the wind and laugh in the face of waste. Stupid? Yeah, maybe, but it’s a fact.

But there is some good news – on the way out of the concert we each got a free Cold Play CD. Very cool. My wife gave hers to the in-laws as a thank you gift and then quickly adopted mine. Justice.

Enjoyed this post? Please consider subscribing to Money and Such by free RSS Feed or by email. You can also follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

Rob Beennett said...

I think your point is legitimate. The context in which you spend money certainly changes the value proposition obtained from it.

But I believe that you should always seek an equally strong value proposition.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of a desert that my wife and I enjoy at a dinner to celebrate our anniversary. That's because I am not just buying a desert -- I am buying an anniversary memory, which is something a little different.

But I am not price indifferent even at anniversary celebrations. If the cost got to be too much, I would look for another restaurant for the next anniversary.

It's an interesting question.

Rob

Neil said...

There are some occasions when you are almost forced to abandon frugality. With a concert you are often not allowed to take any food/drink in with you. The question therefore isn't should I buy this drink/food at inflated prices? It is am I going to go this concert or not? I'm ignoring the option of going to the concert and not eating/drinking at all - just too miserable!